Re: [TowerTalk] Shared Apex Loop SAL-30

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shared Apex Loop SAL-30
From: Fernando González, EC1CT <ec1ct@esbesaya.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 01:16:51 +0100

Krish and Gary,
The white coating is just a special marine grade paint for fiberglass. We did the same manner as with the SteppIR elements that have been handling the UV radiation up there at 4000 fts pretty well for many years. Regarding the trasmitting antenna, it´s just an inverted L (45 ft high, rest of it horizontal). This antenna is sharing partially the radial system of a quarter wave vertical on 80 (you can see the vertical on the video on the images from the drone not far from the 4sq for 40). The inverted L is pretty noisy and I got some bad feelings about its performance (poor ground plane) but Oscar DR holds the DXCC on 160 with it so who knows. Krish, you´re right about the comparision but I can assure you the FT4 was cero nada nil on the inverted L and not only because the noise...You got a video on youtube comparing the shared apex loop vs a circle array which is certainly much more accurate. The antenna really works but I don´t have any other antenna on recepcion to compare with. The transmitting antennas (at least the inverted L) cannot be compared and can´t help as it´s mostly useless for very low DX signals-
73s
Fernando EC1CT - KD0IGJ

Also would be great to watch a comparison between the Tx
antenna and The loop. Need to
be able to hear it first before playing
With Front to back etc.

73
Krish
W4vku

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 13, 2016, at 1:42 PM, Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com> wrote:

Hello Fernando,

What is the white coating that was added to the fiberglass support tubes? Is that just paint or something else?

On 2/13/2016 11:43 AM, Robert Harmon wrote:
Fernando,

Great installation ! I love his QTH. I wish I had that much area for antennas, sigh.....
thanks for sharing

73
Bob
K6UJ

On 2/13/16 3:08 AM, Fernando González, EC1CT wrote:
GM everyone,
A couple of days ago I sent a mail about the Shared Apex Loop SAL30 from Array Solutions that Pedro EA1YO, Oscar EA1DR and me installed at Oscar´s contest station up in the northern Spain mountains. Here you have a video of the installation and some rx test Oscar did with FT4TA. Hope you like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPbChYzB_Nw

BTW: I´m the one reading the manual...hihi

EC1CT Fernando – KD0IGJ
ec1ct@esbesaya.com

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

-----
No se encontraron virus en este mensaje.
Comprobado por AVG - www.avg.com
Versión: 2016.0.7357 / Base de datos de virus: 4522/11619 - Fecha de publicación: 02/13/16