[TowerTalk] DXpedition Antenna Design Help Requested

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DXpedition Antenna Design Help Requested
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:40:13 -0500
Next month will be the VP8WWW DXpedition to Stanley, Falkland Islands.  We
want to cover all HF bands (including WARC) and operate CW, SSB, RTTY and
PSK31.  My job is to plan the antenna farm.  There are virtually no trees or
other supports, so everything will be hung from masts.

Two beams, one full size and the other compact, will be used for 20 through
10 meters.  These each will have their own mast and be rotated via armstrong
method.

Dipoles will be used for 40 and 80 meters, and maybe 160 also.  We will have
one multi-band vertical that may be bottom loaded for 160 meters.

All masts are stackable aluminum tubing, obtained from The Mast Company.
This is the military surplus supply variety that is super strong but light
weight.  Each mast will be 37 feet, guyed at three heights.

Obviously, several masts will be required.  I do not want to take any
spares.  I am thinking about the possibility of hanging all dipoles from one
set of masts.  Is this feasible?  If so, what amount of separation is
required?  I am thinking of PVC "T" bars at the top as separators.  Would
vertical stacking be better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith NM5G