RE: [TowerTalk] galvanizing chrome moly

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] galvanizing chrome moly
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:51:58 -0600
Interesting problem.  Often I find yellow jackets and/or red wasps flying
around my tower, even at 150 feet.  However, they do not make nests anywhere
I have seen, and I have never been stung.  Once, while working at the very
top, a wasp lit on the thrust bearing just as I was about to loosen the
bolts to raise the mast.  It just perched there and seemed to be daring me
to put my hands near the bearing.  Since I was wearing leather gloves I just
waved him away and went about my business.  He did not go very far, and
eventually lit on the far side and watched me through the whole process.  A
climber friend of mine said they are particularly attracted to galvanized
steel towers.

Keith NM5G