RE: [TowerTalk] Omni Directional Antenna on Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Omni Directional Antenna on Tower
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:29:28 -0600
A couple of things need to be taken into consideration to arrive at the best
solution.

First, is your repeater centrally located to your intended audience?  If the
answer is yes, some are likely going to be unhappy with the shadowing of a
side mount.  Depending on the length of the sidebar you could easily have a
deep null, more than 5 dB, on the tower side.

Second, what are the chances of a lightning strike in your area?  If they
are high, you will likely be climbing that tower often to replace the
antenna if it is mounted on top.  My club has replaced the repeater antenna
an average of once per year due to lightning strikes.  That antenna is
installed on the roof of a tall building.  OTOH, I had a 144/440 dual bander
mounted at the top of the mast (rotated) on my tower that lasted 4 years
before being blasted into several pieces by a strike, so you might get
lucky.

Pick your poison.

Keith NM5G