RE: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:22:35 -0600
Would you care to define "ground loops between pieces of equipment"?

Here are my thoughts:
An equipment ground loop is a condition where potential (voltage) can be
measured between the chassis of two pieces of equipment.  If this voltage is
under .0001 volt, is it still a ground loop?  Perhaps.  Will this voltage
have a detrimental effect on equipment operation or protection?  I don't
think so.  This is why instructions are often seen to keep ground straps as
short as possible.  To me, the ground loop that is a real problem is where
two pieces of equipment are connected to two different grounds.

The grounding window entrance (bulkhead) to my shack is shown here:
http://www.dutson.net/transfer/HamRadio/bulkhead.jpg
Note it is only partially populated, with expansion planned for more
antennas and another tower (in progress).  The coax cables are connected to
Polyphasers.  The control cables are also connected to Polyphasers.  To the
far left you see a large grounding braid.  This goes to the station ground
bar (Harger) located about six feet away.  All equipment chassis are
connected to this bar using smaller ground braid.

Here is an older shot of the bulkhead from the outside:
http://www.dutson.net/Ham/P6060005.jpg
Note the large copper wires at the lower left and right corners.  These
wires are each connected to separate 8ft ground rods located straight down.
The two rods are also connected together and this connecting cable runs to
the tower ground system (another series of rods) and to the ground rod
located at the power and telephone service entrance points.

Thus, in my system, all equipment, antennas, towers and power see the same
common ground point.  Granted, there IS some potential between these
components, but it is far less than if each had its own separate earth
ground.  I feel pretty good about the lightning protection provided here.

Keith NM5G