RE: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:20:00 -0600
Tom,

I got into a frustrating thing with the ARRL lab when they reviewed an
AL1200 amp. They used an RMS metering and regulating system, and they had
terrible peak clipping caused by soft power lines and a bad regulator in the
lab. It took forever (after the review was published) to get the ARRL to
understand how power lines work. It was worse than dealing with a layman,
because they kept telling me "we paid $30,000 for our regulator, and it is
rock solid" or something equally stupid.

For that kind of cash I am surprised they did not get an industrial quality
inverter-type UPS.  For these, the mains are used only to charge the
batteries.  The inverter generates mains power from the batteries.

Keith