RE: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding

To: "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Conductive Concrete and Grounding
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:38:15 -0600
Here is an excerpt from PolyPhaser's technical document titled Document
Number TD1028: An interconnected concrete tower base can help the tower
ground system:

Concrete is a fair conductor and can be used safely and effectively to
augment the tower grounding system. The concrete's ability to quickly absorb
moisture and release it slowly over a long period of time makes this
possible. The pH of the released moisture in turn enhances the conductivity
of the surrounding soil.

It is a common misconception to think that a lightning strike will blow up a
concrete pad. However, consider first, a myth-perpetuating case of an
improperly designed earth ground system where the tower leg "J"-bolts are
imbedded directly into the concrete pad. In this case, due to the poor
nature of the tower ground system, each of these J-bolts will actually share
a significant amount of strike current which in turn will flow through the
concrete. Since the surface area interface between the J-bolts and the
concrete is small, and the surge current density from the strike very large,
the corresponding heat generated by the energy transfer can turn the
concrete moisture into steam and possibly crack the pad. We have only seen
this happen once on a mountain top in the Nevada desert. However, a few
poorly implemented occurrences can give a valuable technique a bad
reputation.

Keith NM5G