Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 - Patents

To: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, <ve3zi@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 - Patents
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:21:45 -0700
I can't speak to antennas, but I can speak to other instances of moderate tech.
 In round numbers, if the infringer doesn't just cease & desist after getting a
letter, you're looking at 100K. If it's a case of off-shore infringement and
you're trying to get customs to stop the goods, a bit less, but more hassle
(you need to know where and when the goods are coming in.

Jim Lux

Question:

To get an idea of how difficult it is for a major manufacturer of Antennas to
defend a patented design, if they chose to do so, I am curious how much it
costs a manufacturer to muster a legal defense to force a person who is
duplicating their patented designs to cease and desist.   If the company
understandably  wants to protect it's intellectual property from intrusive
duplication by others,  and targets an entity that it perceives is infringing
on its rights,  ( and income)  what does it cost to mount a challenge?  That
may give us perspectives, on how likely a small number of "copies" done by an
individual of a patented design, would be challenged by even a substantial mfg.

All the Best, 73