Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing and weatherproofing ladder line

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing and weatherproofing ladder line
From: "Dave Harmon" <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:41:44 -0600
Now ya got me thinking...slowly....

In Calif I had an inverted V for 80mtrs hanging off my tower for 28 years.
I never had any trouble other than my dawg chewing coax and rotor cables.
I DO remembering being on the roof and noticing that the soldered,
unprotected splices of wire used for the stubs were looking a bit
gnarly....sort of white crumbly stuff....probably known as corrosion.
These stubs were two wraps of 16awg 3' or 4' long solid copper, insulated.
The solder joint was open to the weather. All I did was reheat and add new
Multi-Core.
I'm not saying that soldered connections don't need to be protected but I've
never had problems. Probably a bit of Penetrox wouldn't hurt.
I slathered up my Ht-Tower pretty good with that stuff.

Regards

Dave Harmon
K6XYZ[at]sbcglobal[dot]net
Sperry, Ok.