[TowerTalk] Renter tower insurance

To: <k7lxc@aol.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Renter tower insurance
From: "Douglas K. Smith" <dougsmith@harbornet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:26:42 -0700
K7LXC's reply to this post erroneously has confused homeowner's insurance (for
the occupying owner of the property) and renter's insurance (which most renters
don't even carry).  Most homeowner's policies do cover accessory structures and
the policy definition of such structures usually includes towers and antennas
on them.  This is something that one's insurance agent can answer.  If the
agent does not know the answer, he/she can posit the question to the company
for an unequivocal response.  For the owner occupier of the house, the typical
homeowner's policy covers both liability and loss due to covered perils such as
windstorm.  Questions may nevertheless arise if the tower was not installed
with a permit and/or pursuant to code.  Again, I defer such questions to the
insurance agent.

However, renters are an entirely different matter.  Most landlord policies are
much more restrictive.  They virtually never cover tenant personal property and
would rarely, if ever, cover "structures" attached to the realty by the tenant
such as a tower even if it would have been an accessory structure were the
policy a homeowner's policy.  Often, landlord policies are little more than
fire policies.  Such policies would certainly not cover the tenant's potential
liability (even if they might cover the landlord's potential liabilty) were a
tower to fall.  The ARRL endorsed policy covers loss to the ham equipment only;
it does not provide liability coverage.

I would advise anyone renting who intends to put up a tower to do the
following:  (1) secure the landlord's written permission; (2) consult an
insurance agent to determine what coverage can be purchased that would protect
both the tenant and the landlord -- there may be policies that mimic
homeowner's coverage for renters of entire houses or condos (I doubt such
coverage exists for apartment renters); (3) make sure all applicable permits
and building codes are followed.

As a general proposition, I would presume that, as a renter, you are probably
not going to get any tower or large antenna up in the air other than perhaps a
back yard multiband vertical and wires in the trees.

73
W7ZZ