[TowerTalk] Lightning

To: "towertalk-request@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning
From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 08:52:44 -0400
The main thing to remember is that although the probability of an event is low,
the consequences can be high.
Katrina was such an event for some people, as was the Japanese tsunami.
My experience is that powerline/phone line surges coming in from a relatively
large area are near certain to occur and can produce serious, though not
catastrophic damage!  If you have a radio hardwired to a LAN, it can surely be
zapped.  I’ve lost multiple modems and telephones, even LAN cards, to conducted
surges!
So be sure your phone demarc is up to snuff!
For power line incomings, I use a whole house surge protector at my breaker
box.  I have no idea if it’s ever done anything, but they seem to be considered
effective.
WL