Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Redux

To: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Redux
From: Rob Frohne <frohro@wwc.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:57:01 -0700

On May 6, 2004, at 4:38 PM, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

Figure out how to make the elements of retractable
tubing, so when not in use, they collapse down to
3 feet (each side) or whatever.  This would reduce
the 2 element antenna to the size of a TV antenna when
not in use.  This might be a big advantage for restricted
QTH's.  The antenna could have an additional "5 meter"
band setting which would qualify it as a channel 2
TV antenna for legal purposes.

Actually, I think one could probably use the very same technology as SteppIR are currently using but fix the end of the BeCu strip to the tip of the fiberglass tube. If the tubes were not "locked" into place and and taped, they could conceivably expand/contract with the strip. It appears to me that the strip is stiff enough to do the job.

73,

... Joe, K4IK
If you are willing to just have a factor of two contraction, you could use threaded rod which would certainly have no problem moving the tubes in and out.

This is one of the reasons I'm interested in an adjustable antenna. My philosophy at my present installation is to make it beefy when I'm not using it, and big when I am. I have a 122 foot crank up tower that I plan to crank up and down. Having an antenna that retracts would be a perfect match. :)

73,

Rob
--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.