Re: [TowerTalk] Screw anchors

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Screw anchors
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:51:58 -0500
If you have reactive soil, do NOT put screw anchors directly in the soil
(but rather anchor them in concrete). Over time, they WILL react to the
soil, will lose their strength, and will eventually fail. If you doubt me, I
will send you some pix of a failed screw anchor which resulted in the loss
of a 70+ foot tower plus the antennas and feedlines on it. These were good
heavy duty screw anchors put into Missouri clay, and I was a assured by a
noted Texas vendor that they'd be great. They lasted about 10 years and then
failed during a modest (50 MPH) wind storm. Don't make the mistake I
did...save yourself some grief, spend a little extra, do your research,
check on your soil conditions, and follow the mfgr specs.

73
k0dan