Re: [TowerTalk] ground radial project

To: "K2VI" <k2vi@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground radial project
From: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:19:21 -0500
Hi Tony,

This is from the ARRL Antenna Book:
---------------------------------------
Practical Suggestions For Vertical Ground Systems

At least 16 radials should be used if at all possible.
Experimental measurements and calculations show that with
this number, the loss resistance decreases the antenna efficiency
by 30% to 50% for a 0.25 wavelength vertical, depending on
soil characteristics. In general, a large number of radials (even
though some or all of them must be short) is preferable to a
few long radials for a vertical antenna mounted on the ground.
The conductor size is relatively unimportant as mentioned
before: #12 to #22 copper wire is suitable.
  a.. If you install only 16 radials  they
  need not be very long - 0.1 lambda is sufficient.
  b.. If you have the wire, the space and the patience to lay
  down 120 radials (optimal configuration), they should
  be 0.4 lambda long. This radial system will gain about 3 dB
  over the 16-radial case.
  c.. If you install 36 radials that are 0.15 lambda long, you will
  lose 1.5 dB compared to optimal configuration.
Hope this helps!

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ