Re: [TowerTalk] Telrex beams

To: baughn@wowway.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Telrex beams
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:15:16 -0500
Steve,

W6TR said it quite nicely.

Back in the day, when Mike Ercolino founded Telrex, yagis were built
by formula,
by guess, and by golly.    His principal market was the military,
with K2USA at Fort
Monmouth being his 'test platform'.     I was a young nipper at the
time, just getting
involved in ham radio, and a member of the K2USA ham club, ca 1958-59.

The Telrex yagi 'reputation' is an historical artifact.    The
published data is all suspect,
as we didn't have computer modelling then, nor did Mike have a real
antenna range to
take data on.

Physically, the design is not optimized for ease of manufacture.
It's heavy.
If you were to find the yagis you're looking for, they would most
likely be weathered by now,
and a cleanup job.

And if they weren't weathered... if they were of a more recent
vintage,  nobody quite knows
what Ercolino's son (also Mike) might have done to improve margins,
as the company's
flag was lowered, slowly, over the last few years of its operation.

N2EA/Jim

Jim Jarvis, MBA
President - Executive Coach
The Morse Group, LLC

People-Process-Strategy:  Achieving Results in a Changing World