To: "EZ Rhino" <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>, "TowerTalk construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 110, Issue 42
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:53:55 -0500
Unless you're really crazy about climbing why not start out by opening
things up where the feedline goes up the tower and look up the tower with
the analyzer. If you're lucky and it looks good then there's a pretty good
chance the problem is on the ground. Put a 50 ohm load on the station side
of the feed, at the base of the tower and look at it from the station and
just start working your way towards the tower until you find the problem, or
just work your way from the tower base back towards the station.  However,
I'd bet on the bad tower coax scenario, then it's time to start climbing.
You could put the 50 ohm load on the anenna side of the base end of tower
coax, climb up to the antenna, open the coax and look down the coax and/or
into the antenna.
If you have an MFJ analyzer, or possibly one of the others, and there is
enough of a short or open circuit you might be able to locat it's
approximate location by using the "TDR" mode.

Gene / W2LU