[Towertalk] US Tower MA-Series Maintenance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] US Tower MA-Series Maintenance
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:54:12 -0500
Thanks for the info, Jerry. It reinforces my non-professional opinions about
cable maintenance. Also, thanks for the hint on exercising the tower and
moving the resting point. It's made me rethink my strategy.

I've always kept the tower well below full height (50' instead of 70')
except when contesting or occasionally chasing rare DX. I used to put it all
the way down whenever the wind kicked up over about 25 MPH. That's partly as
a safety measure (you never know when a freak windstorm will come up) and
partly because the lower the tower the less it flexes. I think repeated
flexing can't be very good for the cable. There's certainly evidence that
the cable stretches over time -- I've had to tighten the pull-down side
about once a year to keep it from flapping over and getting caught on the
pulleys. I suspect some of that stretching is caused by the extended tower
swaying in the breeze and some is caused by the weight of the tower sections
over time.

I used to crank the tower up and down a lot because it had my main
antenna -- a TH-7 (right at the max rated windload.) But a couple of years
ago I installed a guyed portable military mast with another tribander and
have kept the crankup fully retracted except for contests and chasing rare
DX. I replaced the TH-7 with a 20M monobander, which has much lower windload
and weight. I think keeping the tower retracted is good for minimizing
stretch, but it also tends to put the cable in exactly the same position for
extended periods of time, which as you point out can't be good. Seems to me
that I need to exercise the tower more frequently, say once a week, then
park it at a random point between fully retracted and ten feet higher.

This has another benefit -- this winter I discovered for the first time that
the limit switches can freeze during an ice storm. The "full-down" switch
can get stuck in that position for long periods of time, well past the ice
storm. If you then raise the tower it can't be lowered because the limit
switch is already in the "full-down" position. I was lucky enough to be able
to reach the switch with a pole from the ground and exercise it enough to
break the ice, and could lower the tower. The problem is that the limit
switch arm rests against the small piece of track that triggers it in the
full down position. By raising the tower a little above this position after
fully retracting it, the switch can't freeze in the full-down position.

By the way, on the access issue I was referring to access for the purpose of
lubing the cables, not replacing them. That's a different issue altogether.
The U.S. Tower tubular cables can be replaced relatively easily, except on
the big MA-89 -- the lowest movable section is too heavy to remove without a
special jig (at least, that's what the manufacturer says.) It's not a
two-hour project -- you have to tilt your tower, remove your beam and
disassemble the tubes. On the 70-foot model it's probably a two-man job
since the lowest movable section weighs about 100 lbs. Unfortunately, U.S.
Tower does not provide a cable stringing guide, so it's important to study
the route very carefully before disassembly -- some digital pictures would
be a good idea! Several years ago the president of U.S. Tower told me they
had an engineer and a lawyer working on a comprehensive installation and
maintenance manual for the tubular towers, including multi-color
cable-routing diagrams. As far as I know, no such manual was ever published.

On the climbing issue, I certainly wouldn't climb a triangular crankup,
although there are some who say you can block the movable sections with wood
or steel beams to make that safe. However, I find that climbing a tubular
tower isn't nearly as dangerous (although much caution is still advisable.)
Many installers lean an extension ladder against the tower, then have
someone hold it at the bottom while they climb up and secure the top. Some
use a "tree" attachment at the top of the ladder to keep it from slipping
off before it's secured. I don't like these methods for a number of reasons,
including the requirement for a helper and sloping ground next to my tower
compromising the placement of the ladder feet. I prefer to strap an
extension ladder right against the tower. This puts the feet of the ladder
on the concrete slab. I use high-strength cargo straps to secure the ladder
to the tower (always fully retracted for this operation) and space the
straps closely -- every 3-6 feet. The result is a very tight bond between
the ladder and tower. I also use a climbing belt with standard and
fall-arrest lanyards and don't free-climb the ladder. It's only 20 feet, but
no sense taking chances.

I've found that this procedure is *much* faster than tilting the tower. The
tilting procedure requires a lot of steps, especially for the motorized,
rotating tubular towers. The tilt-over fixture can't be left in place (the
motor housing would hit it during rotation), so that 80-lb hunk has to be
transported to the tower, lifted into place and installed (takes about a
half hour or more just for that.) The rotor has to be disconnected, the
cables have to be untied and several bolts have to be removed (a step ladder
is required for that.) I also have a wire cage around the bottom of the
tower that has to be removed (it prevents the coax from getting hung up in
the rotor area.) These steps have to be executed very carefully (for
example, if you forget to remove the pin bolts from the tiling base they
will get sheared off.) Further it's difficult to get to the apex of the
tower when it's tilted because the antenna boom prevents the tower from
tilting all the way to the ground. A step ladder can be used but it has to
be over 10 feet high (15 feet in my case) and the ground under the apex of
my tilted tower slopes rather steeply. All the steps have to be done in
reverse to raise the tower back to vertical. All this takes a heck of a lot
of time -- not worth it just to replace the coax run or tighten the
pull-down cable.

Speaking of the pull-down cable, there is an elaborate tightening procedure
that involves cranking the tower up and down many times. You have to do that
to release the tension on the cable, use a come-along to tighten the cable,
then do all that cranking again to tighten the tension spring. Using the
tiltover procedure to get to the top of the cable presents the step ladder
problem and would make it at least a four hour project, maybe more.

I've also found that it's much faster and safer to mount and dismount a
large beam using a ladder plus block and tackle than it is to do it with the
tower tilted -- I've tried it both ways and there's no comparison. It took
six people to mount my TH-7 on the tilted tower and it was a dangerous
procedure for all concerned (especially the guy balancing on a stepladder at
the apex of the tower.) It only took two people to do it with the ladder. A
number of professional installers have told me they do it that way (one even
carries the beam up the ladder -- don't try this at home!) Again, these
comments apply only to the tubular towers and the usual tower-climbing
safety caveats apply.

73, Dick WC1M