[TowerTalk] Why does Cushcraft R7 work so well without radials?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Why does Cushcraft R7 work so well without radials?
From: k6sdw@arrl.net (Eddy Avila)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:53:49 -0000
Hi Mike,

I guess you have to ask what's you're definition of "work well?" Does the R7
and R8 radiate a signal, apparently it does....but the real question to ask
is: how much signal does it radiate and in what direction? If you put 100
watts into the antenna input connector, how much of this power actually gets
radiated as a useable signal at the receiving antenna? The answer would
surprise you.......

If you like verticals, I'd stick with a "real" 1/4 vertical and a "real"
groundplance system as recommended in the antenna books, like Carr's
"Practical Antenna Handbook."

Gud luck and 73...../ed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>