[TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80
From: k6sdw@hotmail.com (Eddy Avila)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:29:44 +0000
Kelly,
I have the Butternut hf2v, never owned the hf6v, so can only speak to the
hf2v which is an 80/40 meter based loaded vertical ground mounted and using
just 12 radials buried below the surface my hf2v consistently works much
better than my horizontal dipole at 25' above ground for dx across the US,
Alaska, the East Coast of Canada and into South America on 80 meters --
works even better on 40. I have no doubt a full-sized dipole oriented in the
direction of interest and at least 70-80' would work even better but at the
moment the vertical is it!

So....you should be getting better results from your vertical. What kind of
base resistance are you seeing? Without the base-matching coil installed my
readings started out at about 4 ohms at 3.5mhz which meant most of my power
was going to heat the earth. With the base-matching coil I was able to get
it to 36 ohms and 50-ohm impedance.

Good luck.......73 /k6sdw

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----