[Towertalk] rigging rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] rigging rope
From: n1lo@hotmail.com (Mark .)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:16:25 -0500
<< What are people using these days for rigging rope (e.g., hauling tools
and equipment up the tower, pulley work, tramming antennas, etc.)?
...SNIP... 73, Dick WC1M >>

Hi Dick,

I like the inexpensive twisted polypropylene. I think the brand is LeHigh.
It's cheap, readily available, has low stretch, and can be left up for
several days, even through rain, without worry over moisture retention. The
latter is useful for tram lines that are time consuming to set up, where a
tower job at a leisurely pace, started late in the day (for convenience
after work, etc), with several antennas may span a couple of days.

For gin pole work, I use 1/2" twisted polypropylene. I store it by flaking
(stuffing without coiling) it into a big Rubbermaid tub. Coiling rope is
definitely out!

For temporary guys, lightweight tramming (50 lb or less antennas), and
general hauling up and down on a pulley, I use 3/8" twisted polypropylene. I
bought 2, 600' spools from Home Depot, four 5 gallon buckets, and 4 bucket
seat tops. I cut the ropes into 300' foot lengths, flaked them into the
buckets and fit the lids/seats for carrying and storage.

For tag lines, I use some lightweight 1/8" twisted nylon cord that winds up
nicely on kite string spools.

However, for prepared prussick loops that I use to attach pulleys,
carabiners, and myself to the tower, I use 6 and 7mm double braided nylon
climbing accessory cord made by PMI.

For lanyards, I like Blue Water 5/8" static line.

In all cases, I evaluate the safe working load of the rope for each job. I
like to put a band of tape on the end of each rope and mark the rope length
and safe working load, since I don't work with the ropes frequently enough
to keep it all memorized!

--...MARK_N1LO...--