[Towertalk] "Light Poles" as Antenna Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] "Light Poles" as Antenna Towers
From: kb9yxv@hotmail.com (Terry Miller)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:25:03 -0600
Hello All,
As I look around at light poles I see poles with long arms, sometimes as
long as ten or fifteen feet long with large mercury vapor lights weighing
forty pounds or more each, standing in parking lots. Other light poles may
just have a small spot light lighting a flag. I wonder how one would
determine how much of an antenna load a particular light pole could handle.
In addition, some light poles used along highways have a brake-away feature
built into them to protect motorists who may collide with them along the
highway.  Just something to think about when using light poles for antenna
towers.

73,
de Terry, KB9YXV