[TowerTalk] ProSisTel/BigBoy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ProSisTel/BigBoy
From: wb0gaz@hotmail.com (david feldman)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:38:23 -0700
I've been using the "61" with "C" box since last fall on a
Force 12 C49XR mounted to Rohn 45G.

It has been a good combination with the following exceptions:

  1. At the time of purchase last year there was no standard 45G
  compatible rotor accessory plate - minor grinding, drilling was
  necessary (I did not want to follow the advice of prosistel to
  turn the motor sideways as I thought that would encourage water
  intrusion.) I'd see if this has been rectified because it would
  save quite a bit of effort in integration.

  2. The "C" box here sometimes turns the rotor the "wrong way"
  (i.e., for me going past the southern most direction) on it's way
  from one heading to another - I believe this can be corrected by
  resetting the end-of-rotation limits, but I haven't done this yet,
  so I just work around by watching for this situation.

  3. When changing from the original box to the "C" box the azimuth
  calibration was then incorrect and the antenna needed to be
  physically repointed. I haven't tried going from "C" to orig to
  see if the orig box has a different calibration method; in any
  event this was just an inconvenience due to need for use of the
  orig box before the "C" box was available.

  4. At first install the motor was *VERY* noisy - turned out to be
  slight mechanical interaction between motor fan & housing cover; the
  housing cover metal grate is made of *VERY* thin metal and was
  quite subject to damage during installation (but not hard to fix
  once the culprit was found.)

  5. The "C" box has a requirement that you power it up every 6 months
  or so (I'm not always very active) to avoid losing firmware. YECCH!

Dave

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>