[TowerTalk] guys vs. falling limbs? Resp. by DAVIS RF Co.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] guys vs. falling limbs? Resp. by DAVIS RF Co.
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:36:19 -0500
Hi John,

I can't answer all your questions but having had towers and verticals in a
wooded area for over 30 years, I'd like to ask you a couple questions and then
give you a gut observation.  First, what state are you in?  Second, what
species of trees do you have in the "area of destruction" if one of those trees
or limbs comes down on a guy??.   Even without this info, my first gut reaction
is that you should be removing trees from each guy area, but for trees where
the top 20% or less would be the only part of the tree to hit a guy, , but not
including top 20% of white pines because they would exert much more force due
to their rigidity vs. maple, oak, elm, etc.
Also, you can "watch the health' of your trees and still not see an issue that
will cause a tree or limb to fall/break.   If you do see a tree that is an
issue, after you put up the tower, then often that can pose a more involved
removal of the tree or limb, i.e.,
having to bring in a bucket truck vs. felling the whole tree before the tower
is up.  Lastly, which is more trouble:  felling trees in the guy areas before
the tower construction, or having to deal with disassembling and removal of a
buckled tower, broken antennas,  or tower that tipped over and is now hung up
in trees (trees can provide great support when  you don't want them to.....HI
).

Cheers,  Steve   K1PEK
DAVIS RF Co
Wire, Cable, RF Connectors, Cable Design Engineering
Ham, Commercial and Military
www.DavisRF.com