Re: [TowerTalk] Rainbow Towers

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rainbow Towers
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:26:13 -0600
I know someone will point out that this is anecdotal evidence (it is), but I
can show you a HDBX 48 that for years held up a HyGain TH11DX. The first time I
saw it was the mid 90s.  The HG came down in the late 90s to put up a CC X-7
which is up there today.  Both those antennas violate the 10' rule.  The tower
is bolted to a concrete pad and bracketed at about 10 feet with a home made
bracket. So the twisting moment is all within 38'.  It is still there to the
best of my knowledge.

I think the 10' rule came from the original manufacturer, Spaulding, who made
similar but much flimsier towers.  Rohn, continued it in all their specs when
they bought and re-engineered the BX series.

No engineering - just observations.

Clint - W5CPT