[TowerTalk] FW: Anchor Bolts US Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Anchor Bolts US Tower
From: "KM5VI" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:11:19 -0500
Bolt failure theory and the engineering design of bolted connections
differentiate connections by how the load will be transferred though the
connection.  "Slip-critical" class connections rely on friction developed
between the connection members to transfer load.  This friction is produced
by the compressive forces in the connection requiring the bolt to be torqued
to a design specification.  "Shear" connections rely on the shear strength
of the bolt to transfer load and need only to be "snug tight".  Either class
of connection is suitable for tension loading.

Wind loads transferred to the anchor bolts by a tower are overwhelmingly
tensile in nature with a relatively small shear component.  The bolt size
required to safely handle the tensile loads result in shear stress levels
that can easily be handled by a shear type bolt connection, thus the design
of tower anchor bolt connections are typically not required to be
slip-critical.  Therefore snug tight is typically adequate for this type of
application.

KM5VI
Matt Flukinger, PE