[TowerTalk] near field pattern on 6M?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] near field pattern on 6M?
From: k6sdw@arrl.net (Eddy Avila)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:42:51 -0000
John, I too have serious birdies when my 6-mtr beam is pointed south
south-west (directly over my neighbor's house) but not elsewhere! Maybe some
day when he's gone I'll go over and dump the power to his house and see if
birdies disappear! HI.........second thought, better not!

73....k6sdw

>From: John Kaufmann <john.w1fv@telocity.com>
> >
> > I have an interference problem on 6M. there is a noise source that seems
> > be due north from my beam. The noise is about 800 Hz wide, and is, at
> > different times, anywhere from 50.125 to 50.131 MHz. (Right- right on
>the
> > calling frequency) Strength is about s9.
> >
> > The problem is that my shack is due north of the beam, and I am
>wondering
> > if the source could be in the house. The tower is 60 ft north of the
>shack,
> > and the beam is at about 53 ft, just above an ATB34 tri-bander. THe 6M
>beam
> > is an MFJ 3el Yagi. THe booms are aligned.
> >
> > The geometry puts the receiver (and my computer) directly in line, but
>at a
> > very depressed angle, to the beam. THe question is- is there a chance
>that
> > the pattern is directive enough to "see" anything from my equipmqnt. or
>is
> > it more probable that the souce is at a greater distance, and the
>line-up
> > is coincidental?
>
>At a range of 60 feet, the pattern of the yagi is
>probably well formed enough to provide a lot of
>directivity.  It's quite possible that the RFI source
>could be your house.  On the other hand, interference
>can carry a long way so I wouldn't rule out other
>sources.  At my QTH, there are lots of birdies in the 6
>meter band, some coming from directions where there is
>nothing in the immediate vicinity.  One prominent one
>is around 50.113, which, as I recall, is a TV mixing
>product.
>
>73, John W1FV
>

>List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
>safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
>http://www.championradio.com
>
>-----

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com