[TowerTalk] FW: Why galvanized crank up cables instead of stainless?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Why galvanized crank up cables instead of stainless?
From: "KM5VI" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 22:05:23 -0500
At least one manufacturer does offer an option for stainless steel lifting
cables.  The option does require some pulley upsizing because size-for-size,
stainless steel cable alloys have lower load ratings than for their
galvanized counterparts.

Some popular SS cable alloys are 302,304,305, & 316 and I recall the load
ratings are typically about 80% to 90% of bright galvanized grade...  best
to refer to the manufacturer's published rating tables & use the appropriate
factors of safety.

Hope this helps.

Matt
KM5VI