Re: [TowerTalk] Life expectancy of RG-213

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Life expectancy of RG-213
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:25:13 -0700
I've got coax in use made by a number of manufacturers. Some is RG8 some
213, some other numbers and some unidentifiable. Most of the RG8 was picked
up in 1954 as surplus and some is still good and in use.

When I have a coax problem and it is not readily discernable I TDR it with a
Tektronix 1502.  Pinpoints the problem every time. Just because coax is old
does not mean it is not good. The condition of the covering (no cracks, cuts
or other points for water to enter) is key.

When I moved from my PDX QTH to the OR beach, I did a nitty-gritty
inspection of all my coax and did find some older coax that had begun
developing cracks and tossed it. Outdoors from the house to the tower is all
new stuff. The beach environment beats the crap out of everything!!!!!  The
surplus RG8 I have is now only used in an indoors environment and I have had
no problems with it in over 8 years and some of the old coax has full legal
limit RF being stuffed through it.

The TDR is an invaluable tool and beats guessing!!!

Don W7WLL