Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?

To: "'Al Williams'" <alwilliams@olywa.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:21:55 -0400

> I am not discussing directivity loss or gain--I am just
> curious of whether the field in the vicinity of metal absorbs
> some of the field and somehow that causes the total field of
> the driven element to be reduced.

A changing electromagnetic field generates current in any
conductive element in that field.  The amount of current is
proportional to the level of the field, the resistance in
the conductive element and how closely that element's resonant
frequency matches the frequency of the field.  The induced
current sets up its own field that adds to or subtracts from
the field of the driven element.

If the conductive element is close to resonance, the current
induced in that element will be high.  But if that conductive
element is lossy the field created by that (parasitic) element
will be small ... the energy drawn from the field generated by
the driven element will be dissipated in heat and not returned
as a radiation source that can be used to create directivity
(gain).  In that sense, you can say that any electromagnetic
energy that is taken from the main field and not re-radiated
by the "parasitic" element causes the total field to be
reduced.

All of this is covered in basic electromagnetics ...

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV