[TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:48:05 -0700
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:43:08 -0400
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope

<Why would the screw clamp have any effect on the elements braking?  The
<parts website seems to indicate that HyGain uses 0.028" wall thickness on
<their 20m element tips.
<http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=174939.

<John KK9A

##  .028 thick is fubar.  You would want a bare min of .035
  and .049 and .058 would be even better.

##  I see some Al tubing makers also now offer  .027 wall in the
smaller OD tubing sizes...  like .375 OD.

##  using two SS  hose clamps, like an all SS  Tridon  hose clamp,
with the gear ends 180 deg from each other will work, providing the
slots are long enough to do the job..and be able to accommodate
2 x ss hose clamp bands.   I see that DXE  tubing is now offered
in both slotted one end..and no slots at either end.   Their slotted
tubing   consists  of  4 x  long slots, and fairly wide slots too.  You
could easily compress the inner tubing portion  good and tight.

##  But   .4375 OD tubing is an odd ball size, that I never see sold
anywhere.

Jim   VE7RF