[TowerTalk] FW: Finding True North Using the Moon

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Finding True North Using the Moon
From: "Richard Hill" <REHill@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:53:01 -0700
Why use the moon and a clock?  Polaris, the north star or pole star should
be an accurate beam pointing tool, and no other tools or calculations are
needed. What accuracy is needed?  I'm guessing +/- 5 degrees is not bad,
with +/- 2-3 degrees is probably good given effects of wind, temperature
effects and such.

At present, Polaris rotates around the true north axis within 0.7 degrees of
the axis (1.4 degree diameter circle).  It will become more accurate in the
future, getting within 1/2 degree in the year 2100.  I suspect that is
within beam pointing accuracy?  Good hand held magnetic compass accuracy is
at or greater than 1 degree, often 2 or more degrees inaccurate.

I'm guessing one could point the beam boom at the pole star and have an
acceptably close north pointing beam (well, from the northern
hemisphere...this won't work so well in Oz <grin>).  I suspect lining up the
boom with Polaris would be as or more accurate than finding a land based
reference and looking up to align your beam.

NU6T
Rich

Motherlode DX and Contest Club.
Number One in CQP