Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?

To: "johne tds.net" <johne@tds.net>, <K7LXC@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Refurbish?
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:50:50 -0500
I have not found a 3rd party source for Yaesu rotor repairs. As I understand
it, the factory service will repair the control box but not the outdoor
rotor unit. (Beware, the factory repairs are not cheap!)

The SDX/SX and DXA/DX units are interchangeable except that you will need to
change the connector types or fabricate an adaptor pigtail if you go from
one vintage to the other.

I have used several models of the Yaesu rotors and I like them, however I
have had several controller failures (lightning? power surge?) which have
been inconvenient and costly (and repaired by Yaesu service). I now keep a
spare controller on hand just-in-case (these can be found on Ebay fairly
frequently.) In a pinch, you can use a 15VDC power supply to turn the rotor
right/left by changing polarity. The pinouts on all models are the same.

As someone stated previously, if you're putting up a used/old rotor, it
would be worthwhile to (carefully!) open it and inspect/lube. Also clean up
the connectors and reinstall with new weatherproofing. I would also replace
the nuts, bolts, and other hardware (including the thru-the-mast-pin) with
factory originals or new stainless hardware. Ditto inspect/replace rotor
cable as necessary.

Hope this is of some help!

GL es 73

Dan