[TowerTalk] MA-550 Tubular Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MA-550 Tubular Tower
From: rdanyluk@telus.net (Ralph Danyluk)
Date: Thu Aug 7 13:26:02 2003
Hi Rick,

Good question -

For me small yagi means Boom Length < 15 feet and wind load < 10 sq. ft. and
weight < 30 lbs..
This would include Cushcraft MA5B, TGM,  Force-12 C3 series HF yagis, and
probably most VHF yagis.
Of course small is a relative term.

Wind load area and weight are the important numbers.
According to the US Tower web site, the MA-550 wind load area and weight
ratings are:

70 MPH Winds -- 9 sq. feet; 65 lbs.
50 MPH Winds -- 22 sq feet; 100 lbs

My understanding is that these figures apply for a fully extended tower.
So based on these figures the MA-550 will support a larger yagi, especially
if cranked down in higher winds.
Rotating from the top or base, eve/roof anchoring, and guying will also
change things.

Hope this helps.
73,
Ralph - VE7AOP