[TowerTalk] new topic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] new topic
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:59:26 +0100
Rick Dougherty NQ4I wrote:

>Hi all...this past week the wife and I were on the train from London to
>Manchester...as we approached the town of Rugby, I could see that there
>were 8 fairly tall towers in the distance...as we neared the site of these
>towers, there were indeed 8 large towers over 400 ft in height and they had
>a wire strung from each...didn't appear to be a rhombic though...well there
>were a lot more than 8 towers...as the train breezed by I could see
>hundreds of smaller towers/arrays...it appeared that they were like 8
>square arrays, and there was over 30 sites with what looked like 8 towers
>per site...didn't see any other ahm type antennas in my visit to
>England...but needless to say I was really impressed with what I saw at
>Rugby...any of our UK Bretheren care to expound on what I had seen??

Either the train was going very slowly or Rick has a holographic memory!

That was GBR, noted mainly for its 60kHz transmissions (which use the
largest antennas of course) but there are obviously many other HF
operations from there as well. AFAIK it is only a transmitting station.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek