Re: [TowerTalk] Max height of aluminum tubing mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Max height of aluminum tubing mast?
From: "Ragnar Otterstad" <la5he@yahoo.no>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:31:51 +0100
The smart solution is the TITANEX V80 !

73

" RAG "  Ragnar Otterstad   LA5HE JW5HE OZ8RO

Located in Telemark - Home of skiing.

For more information about Telemark take a look at :

http://en.telemarkreiser.no/

I need some help from the more structurally-oriented members of our
fraternity.

I need to know if it is practical to erect a 75-foot vertical element from
aluminum tubing that has the following dimensions:

OD: 1.785"
ID: 1.57"
Wall: 0.11"
Length: 48" overall; 3.25" suaged and shouldered to fit into the next
section
Weight: 2.7lb

I have devised a raising fixture that has allowed me to raise 45ft masts of
this material alone and with ease. Will a 75ft element stand up, or is there
serious risk of it buckling under its own weight? Of course, numerous guy
levels will be needed - I'm planning on 5.

Thanks,

Brian K1LI