[TowerTalk] Burying radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Burying radials
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Sat Jun 7 12:22:43 2003
Looks like there are lots of options for anchoring radials on the ground.
Last fall after the grass quit growing I laid out and anchored 22 radials
using #14 bare 7 strand Cu wire.  I started out making staples by cutting
and bending coat hangers.  when I had about 40 of them I figured I was
ready.  I used up all of them on the first 4 or 5 radials.  Next I went to
Home Depot in search of something I could buy cheap in mass quantities and
found plastic packages of aluminum chain link fence anchors.  These are
stiff thin rods about 6" long with an angled hook at the top making each one
look like a 7 with the top part pointing down.  I could quickly bend that by
hand to go around the wire and point down so as to be driven into the
ground.  I got a bunch of these and they worked out okay and this spring I
was able to mow without clipping any wire (the first time you mow, sharpen
your blade so if you clip a wire you will slice through it, and get the
blade up as high as you can--better for the grass anyway).  You want to cut
the wire if you hit it because the alternative is your blade wrapping and
reeling in all your wire before you can kill it.  The only downside is that
the aluminum anchors are a little soft and bend so when I hit a rock I'd
have to pull one out, move it a few inches and try hammering again.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com