[TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune: Antenna Stirs Static Among Neighbors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune: Antenna Stirs Static Among Neighbors
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Wed Aug 13 13:32:43 2003
okay, my 2 cents:

I think a tiny number of guys get out of control (I'm talking about a
zillion towers etc. not 3 or 4) BUT I will defend to the grave EVERYONE's
FREEDOM to get "out of control" if that's what they want to do with their
money on their property!   You want to live in a shack with a go-cart but
have twenty 150' towers--if you're not endangering others lives and property
you should have the freedom to live that way (although I think it's
financially unsound).  One of my neighbors has plants growing out of their
gutters, and their yard needs a lot of work but they're not whining about my
antennas.  They live their way; I live mine.  We leave each other alone.
Why things aren't like this everywhere I don't know.

Rob
K5UJ

From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
To: wrt@dslextreme.com
CC: Jerry Muller <k0tv@arrl.net>, "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>,
towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune: Antenna Stirs Static Among
Neighbors
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:44:20 -0400

WHAT?

You want his towers limited????

I do not know why he needed only 90 ft - this is ok for 20 meters... but...
higher would be better for 40!

It does not matter how high they are to the neighbors... the difference
between 50 foot and 150 foot as far as height is irrelevant to them... it is
a tower and to THEIR insensitive bigotry they are all the same...

I can easily understand the need for two high towers minimum, to support a
dipole type antenna between them... but that is only for one pair of
azimuthal options... three towers makes arrays which will be broadside to
six different areas possible!

As far as some people are concerned if the neighbor puts up towers it is
like a person of the wrong ethnic background moving into their
neighborhood... they feel unjustifiably incensed and are convinced that soon
hell will freeze over...

Neighbors suck... best option is to find area near a pasture full of cows -
they do not bitch!

I still cannot believe you told this guy he had nerve asking to have three
towers 90 foot!

K4OJ