[Towertalk] NVIS antenna--reflector addition

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] NVIS antenna--reflector addition
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:31:35 -0700
I have been experimenting with NVIS on
40 meters.  Last weekend I compared an
inverted vee with 60 foot apex, 90 degree
apex angle to an inverted vee with 30 foot
apex, 120 degree apex angle.  They were
indistinguishable except for stations within
about 100 miles, in which case the lower
one was a few dB better.  I also compared
them to a ground mounted vertical.  Although
the vertical was about the same as the vee's
for DX, it totally sucked within 1000 miles.
Many stations that were S9 on the vee's
were inaudible or nearly so on the vertical.
I was expecting some difference, but am
amazed it was so drastic.

I'd like to try the ground wire test, but the
question is what do you use?  A wire laying
on the ground, cut for 1/2 wave in free space?
Or recut for correct resonance while laying
on the ground?  Or elevate the wire 6 feet and
tune for resonance?  Or do you need a whole
grid of wires?  The ARRL antenna handbook has
a graph showing that a perfect ground is worth
2 dB or so vs an average one at typical NVIS
angles.

I could put a half wave wire under the antenna
with a relay in the middle of it to "deactivate"
it so I could A/B the system with and without
the wire.  Does this sound reasonable?  On
the inverted vee's, there are relays that
disconnect the unused vee from the coax
so that it turned into two floating 33 foot
wires.  Hopefully, this makes it invisible to
the vee under test, allowing me to use a single
support and feedline without mutual coupling
errors.

BTW, I also tried the vee's on 15 meters (they
loaded up beautifully on the 3rd harmonic).
The 60 foot high vee totally trounced the 30 foot
high one, at least during the weird band
conditions on Sunday.

Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com
www.n6rk.com