[TowerTalk] Coax Rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Rating
From: w2cs@ipass.net (Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:41:34 -0500
Mauri,

One of us is confused.  I've never seen RG8X with "a thin aluminum
Foil-Polyester Tape-
Aluminum Foil and only very few thin copper wires as braid shield."  All my
RG8X is foam dielectric with standard copper shield and various forms of
jackets depending on manufacturer.

Here's a URL to Belden's RG8X specs:
http://bwccat.belden.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/BELDEN/frames.d2w/repo
rt

Note the description of the shield as being "copper braid."

As for power-handling capability, I've seen conflicting specs on that.
Strictly speaking if the SWR is 1:1, under 10MHz RG8X is spec'd to handle
1500W.  By the time you get to 50MHz (yeah, right!) it's down to 800W.  On
the other hand, those ratings QUICKLY degrade when the VSWR starts climbing
above 1:1.    This thread started with the context of a 3/2 wave antenna.
Such an antenna is not going to provide a 50-ohm feedpoint (or it would be
purely accidental if it did, height dependent).  Given RG8X's voltage rating
of about 300V, practically speaking it cannot handle the legal limit.

My personal experience with mysterious incidents of shorted feedlines using
RG8X on both 7 and 21 MHz at 700W leads me to believe it's not a good choice
for legal-limit usage on any practical antenna system.

So, I guess I respectfully disagree :)  This might be yet another example of
what works on paper and what fails miserably in actual use.

73,

Gary W2CS

| > |
| > |