[TowerTalk] A - MAST

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A - MAST
From: w4zw@home.com (W4ZW@home.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:21:39 -0500

I've been using Radio Shack masts for years, Field Day, Temporary supports,
semi-permanent supports, etc.  Our Club has used one to support a Cushcraft
A4S every year in all sorts of winds, and it may bow a bit but we have never
had one fail.  It is essential that it be guyed properly or all bets are
off, (kinda like a real tower, huhh?).  I also use them as the mast for
R-7's and DX-77's and they are perfect heights for these multiband
verticals.  I use one at my Colorado QTH pushed up and attached to my
deck/roof at the base, 3'mark, and 20' mark with a R-7 on top. I leave about
4' of the top section in and about 2' in the next to top section for
stability. It has withstood snow storms and winds for over 6 years now used
about 6 weeks each winter and a month or so  every summer.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"
uld have what you are looking for in a good sturty