Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning arrestor in towers

To: <HansLG@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning arrestor in towers
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:05:15 -0500
Hans,

Why not make the ground rod functional.

I use a 3 band (144/223/440) J-Pole on top of my tower.
I have a TH-6DXX with a 2M 14el beam above that and
then the J-Pole on top.

I built it using 1/2, 3/4 & 1 in. Copper tubing.
It is assembled using standard plumbing adapters.
It is bonded to the Mast, which is also bonded at the
bottom of the tower where the Prop Pitch rotor is mounted.

The three coax cables (RG-213) come all the way to the
bottom of the tower and grounded by a feed-thru lightening
arrester. The Coax from the 2 beams are also grounded the
same way. I have a coax loop on each one before it goes
underground to the house.

It has worked well for the past 30 years.

    73s de Jim
       W5IFP