Re: [TowerTalk] Rust on Tower Cable

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rust on Tower Cable
From: Fred_W._Hurd@hud.gov
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 07:38:17 -0500
Steve - Thanks for responding. Do I use an anti-rust spray like what you
can get from Home Depot or something else??  FRITZ W4PKU

K7LXC@aol.com
Sent by: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com
12/02/2006 04:02 PM

        To:     towertalk@contesting.com, fred.hurd@cox.net
        cc:     (bcc: Fred W. Hurd/CIO/HHQ/HUD)

In a message dated 11/29/2006 2:48:58 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Hi Guys  - I have a motor driven US Tower that I  installed six years
ago
and still works great (Model 472). Recently I have  noticed a rust
build-up on
the cable around the motor drive pulleys but not up  the tower. My
question
is whether or not this is a potential problem that  could weaken the
cable. The
cable looks and moves fine, but it is turning  brown with rust around the
motor area. I suppose I could cover the motor and  lower pulleys with
tarp, but
I'm not sure that is necessary...any sugestions  from your experiences?

    Don't worry about. Other than using a cable  lubricant on the cables
once
or twice a year anyway.

    The rust would have to be deep - not just surface  rust - in order to
be
a problem.

    A tarp probably wouldn't help since you'd still  get condensation on
everything under the tarp.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -