[TowerTalk] Coax cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax cables
From: brewerj@squared.com (brewerj@squared.com)
Date: Thu Feb 6 09:03:57 2003
Heat is the key. I bought a mondo iron (the tip is about as big around
as a little finger) for $1 at a garage sale. It works perfectly and takes
forever
to warm up. It also takes forever to cool down, which is what your're looking
for!

Some other tips:

1) lightly tin the braid.

2) File with a halfround file, the area around
      the opening for the solder, to expose
      the base metal (hopefully, brass!)

3) Pre tin this area as well.

If I can find one more cheapie iron, I'm going to file the tip into a concave
form
to match the contour of the PL259 shell. Heat transfer should be enhanced
even more, in what will then be a dedicated cable ass'y iron.

73
John K5MO