[TowerTalk] BPL.... very important point missed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BPL.... very important point missed
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:08:23 -0000
I appologize for piling on, here...but it hadn't occured to me
that BPL would enable power companies to automate their meter
reading.  A digital back-channel, if you will.

Thanks to Jim Lux for making the point:
(A related concern, of course, is that the utilities will attempt to cross
subsidize... BPL is lame for consumer internet, but ideal for time of use
and demand metering)

-0-

In enabling a deregulated power industry, we've forced it to compete in
capital markets with high growth firms...that's the fundamental driver
for the BPL pursuit.  My argument is that 'growth' will not be seen, due
to existing entrenched competition...however, it may still be tolerable,
if operating cost reductions on meter reading can be achieved.

N2EA