[TowerTalk] square towers

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] square towers
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:01:37 -0000
I'm no engineer, but it would seem to me that a
4 legged tower would have 33% more material than
a 3 legged tower.  I would also think that the
diagonal bracing seen on Rohn, for example, provides
greater strength than the rectangular form of the
4 legged tower, without diagonal bracing.

Then, there is the factor that these towers are fab'd
in Australia and shipped here.  (IF they're shipped here.)
The shipping expense is more than just the weight of the
metal...it's the included volume, which is clearly greater
in a fab'd tower than in the raw steel components. The delta
might pay for US assembly, if there were sufficient demand.

I've requested pricing, but my expectation would be that
this design will prove 30-50% more expensive than a triangular
design of equivalent specification, delivered US domestic.

OTOH, the lifting fixture is a neat idea...and might be able to
be incorporated on a triangular tower, to facilitate assembly.

This one is worth keeping an eye on.

Jim, N2EA