[Towertalk] single point ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] single point ground
From: jljarvis@adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:47:27 -0000
Bill,

First, you need to recognize that the 2nd floor windows are too
far from ground to be of value.  What you do there is cosmetic,
and weather seal only.

Second, in addition to providing a ground panel at ground level
for antennas and control cables,  on the downstream (station)
side of them, I would route all cables through a piece of iron
pipe about 4' long.  Ground it, as well, to the single point.

It will act as a choke for transients which get across the
ground panel, forcing arcs to ground at the SPG.

I am assuming that what you do at the SPG provides an ESD gap,
so excess voltage is dumped to ground across all coaxes and
rotor/control cables.  ICE does this.

rgds, Jim, n2ea

In a message dated Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:28:24 PM Eastern Standard