[Towertalk] Cushcraft R5 , Problem ???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cushcraft R5 , Problem ???
From: Jim@shawresources.com (Jim Shaw)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:59:14 -0700
Robert
The problem you describe makes me wonder if your coax and/or traps might be
the issue.  Maybe breaking down under transmit power?  Or some other
connection might be malfunctioning under transmit power.  Maybe the paint
but not sure what to say.  Have you reworked every connection to ensure good
conductivity?   Are there any antenna switches, barrel connectors, or other
devices used in the transmission line?  If so, maybe one of them is
malfunctioning under transmit power.

Any way to remove the coax and test the antenna much more directly by
transmitting from much nearer the antenna using a piece of shorter, known
good coax?  Or even ladder line with a tuner?

Does an antenna analyzer indicate the antenna is 'resonant'?  Can you
measure field strength and compare it to another known antenna (e.g. perhaps
a nearby dipole).

Is any one band an issue or is the problem present on all bands?

Does the output power drop to a low number (e.g., due to a different SWR
when transmitting then when receiving)?

Keep us posted on what you find as these can be tough.

73 de Jim WA6PXU@ARRL.net