Re: [TowerTalk] Power limitation for N-Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Power limitation for N-Connectors
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:26:21 +0100
Ron Stordahl wrote:
>The consensus is that N connectors are fine at 1500 watts up to 30 MHz
>(and probably beyond but my use is 30 MHz or lower).  My problem with
>N-connectors in the past, and it's a distant past, is in assembly..maybe
>I had some bad ones.  And I am from the old school...like to use
>solder.  But if the compression connection for the shield is good enough
>and long lasting..apparently it must be..then fine.
>
>The cable will be LDF5-50A which is foam.
>
>Is there a certain connector which has a 'captive center pin' as you
>mention?
>
>My plan would be to use female connectors on the heliax, then male
>connectors on the more flexible jumpers at the ends, probably short
>length of 213.
>
>Am I on the right path?

Looks good to me.

The centre conductors in the Andrew cables are anchored against endways
movement by the foam, and also their connectors are captive pin; so no
problems there.

Likewise the RG213 jumpers have a captive centre conductor, so you can
use any N connectors on those, provided they're assembled correctly. As
Gary says, cutting lengths for the end of the cable are critical. At the
factory, they use jigs to cut and assemble everything just right... but
we don't. If we solder the centre pin too long on the plug, or not quite
straight, it may split the mating pin on the socket. If we leave it too
short, it won't mate reliably.

The 'improved' connectors are SO much better than the original MIL
pattern! They have a pressure sleeve clamp with is waterproof, requires
no solder and really does >>clamp<< the cable. Cutting couldn't be
simpler - just one square cut, right down to the centre conductor, and
no need to trim the jacket back or comb any braid. The captive centre
pin is self-locating on the cut end. Solder that pin, tighten the clamp
with a pair of wrenches and it's done.

As others have already said, there are several suppliers of 'improved'
connectors in the N, BNC and UHF series. I'll leave it to US
contributors to recommend specific sources. Try them, and I'll bet
you'll never go back.

The captive pin will also anchor the floating centre conductor of
9913-type cables, and greatly reduce the problems due to endways
movement. In a long vertical run, you still need to support the hanging
weight of the centre conductor (for example by using a 360deg loop as
Steve recommends). If you don't, then over time a floating centre
conductor will drop, and even a captive centre pin can't handle that
much end force.

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek