[TowerTalk] Antenna file

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna file
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 06:17:54 -0400 (EDT)
> The file is attached as K4SB10.ZIP. Unzip the bugger and you'll be all
> set to go.
> Enjoy, and feel free to tinker with it. LB has suggested this might make
> a nice article so please don't beat me to the punch.

Ed's request bears a little expansion.  One might take a very legal view
of his request, but my note is on the level of everyday, ordinary ethical
relations among all us hams.

The antenna design originated with Ed and belongs to him.  As I play with
the file, I shall treat it with respect as being his.  I shall not divulge
anything I learn about it without first consulting with him.

To my way of thinking (and I have over the many years been charged with
teaching ethics courses here at UTK), this is the same way we think when
we design towers so that, if they were to fall, they would fall on our own
property and not that of our neighbors.  It is simple respect for what
they have a right to expect from their living space.  Sharing what is
called intellectual property is similar:  it is a trust of fellowship in
one of the biggest fellowship groups around.

Sometimes going to the source with new ideas and extensions of work
results in joint articles or other cooperative arrangements.  Sometimes,
it is just one of the services we provide each other, like sharing
experiences in working with complex guying systems.

I have, from time to time, had some files of work done by companies and by
individuals.  That work will not appear in print or at my site, since that
would be a violation of the trust involved.  I am not speaking here of
work that was paid for, but of simple communications about various designs
and exchanges of commentary.  The trust factor does not involve payment,
but respect for those who share.

This is not designed for the members of this group, who are the most
respectful of any I have known, always giving credit where it is due, and
bending over backwards to give that credit.  But if you need a way of
expressing these views to others who have need of them, perhaps this note
may provide a few ideas.

Ed, stop playing and start writing.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu