[TowerTalk] Where to put tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Where to put tower?
From: mlbruss@ucdavis.edu (Michael Bruss)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:58:30 -0800 (PST)
Soon my wife and I will move into a new house in the country where I
intend to put-up a 100' tower.  The tower will be used mostly for HF
beams, but I haven't ruled-out putting VHF/UHF antennas on it.  The
question is whether to put it close to the house to minimize cable runs
or at least one tower length away (where accidents won't harm the house or
its occupants). I also have to deal with the guyed/crank/tilt and
iron/aluminium questions, but want to limit the scope of this question
to location.  Having been a city dweller, my antenna experience has been
with roof-tops and chimneys.

I'm tending toward putting the tall tower far from the house and using
low-loss cable.  Land area, neighbors, ice/snow and power lines are not
factors. I'm tending toward using a separate 30-40' light-weight tower for
the VHF/UHF antennas, and it would be next to the house (it might damage
the house if it falls, but not the occupants).

A couple of subsidiary questions:  The house is 1 story with attic and
crawl-space.  Is it better to route the cables above the ceiling or below
the floor on the way out?  How important is it to have the tall tower
where it can be seen from the radio room versus out of sight where it
won't spoil the view for family and guests?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,  Mike, KF6IMS